Thursday, May 1, 2008

IGN Hate Boat Going Full Sail

To keep with my personal vested interested in yesterday's news regarding Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars and IGN, I'm once again using Quarterplay to show our readers exactly what I'm talking about when I make a statement as straight up as, "No more IGN."

The video, linked above, was pulled from IGN.com (presumably) following the pounding of many angry fists. Leigh Alexander puts it concisely in her opening paragraphs:

"Regardless of what I think of their work, I try not to criticize other outlets, insult other journalists or anything tacky like that. After all, we're all on the same side here, everyone's fallible and I certainly don't claim to be Captain Queen Awesome or anything, to say the least.

But when IGN does something like this, I can't help it. What the fuck were you guys thinking? Do you really think so little of your audience? Worse, do you really think so little of the industry?"

I agree wholeheartedly. It's really hard to break form and openly "talk shit" or disparage other outlets, especially considering the original video was pulled and I'm not even sure who personally I'm disparaging, but when it's necessary, it's necessary. What do you readers think? I know it isn't everyone who looks at videogames as art (and in most cases, I myself do not) but I would like to think videogame enthusiast outlets (ourselves included) could do readers in general a favor and not assume they're the morons screaming racial slurs on Xbox Live or frothing at the mouth masses, anxiously awaiting more T&A (though I'm not above admitting more T&A isn't always out of place -- natch.) More on this as it, undoubtedly, unfolds.

No comments: