Monday, February 25, 2008

Super-Secret PS3 Game to be Released in 2009

Darren Waters over at the BBC's jolly good dot.life blog apparently was shown several games that are in the works for the PlayStation 3, including sequels to Motorstorm and Resistance Fall of Man, as well as a trailer for another game not due out until next year that's under tight wraps:

"In fact, the game is such a secret that when I mentioned the game to Phil Harrison last week he was unsure at first whether even to admit the title existed. When I explained I had been shown it under strict Non Disclosure Agreement terms he looked relieved.

I don't mean to be a tease - all I can say is that I was left speechless.
If the footage I was shown truly is "in game", as told to me by the Sony PR people, then we could be on the brink of a step change in what games consoles are capable of in terms of story-telling and immersion."


Hmm, interesting! I'll admit that the first thing that came to mind when I read this was the fabled and oft-discussed Final Fantasy VII remake. It seems to me if it were a completely new IP that no one knew anything about, they wouldn't need to be so secretive about it because no one would really care until details were released. Like, "We were shown this game called What-the-fuck-ever, it looks absolutely amazing." If we don't know what What-the-fuck-ever is, why would we necessarily care? The fact that it's mindblowing is not the secret, the fact of what it is is the secret, which makes me think it's something we already are familiar with but maybe aren't necessarily expecting.

Also, he notes that "Sony just wanted to give a glimpse of what the console will be capable of." Sounds kind of like that fancy tech demo of the beginning of FFVII that was shown back at E3 2005 to "show the PS3's power."

This is 100% fangirlish speculation on my part, and I'm probably wrong. But who knows! Hopefully whatever it is will be announced to the public soon enough.

No comments: