Sunday, March 30, 2008

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Thoughts

Final Fantasy VII has remained one of my absolute favorite games for many many years, though until now I've avoided the whole "compilation of Final Fantasy VII" crap except Advent Children (which was really just an excuse to see all the people and places in pretty graphics). But, after hearing all the chit chat about how Crisis Core actually didn't suck, I bought into it and, having just finished it, I must say that not only did it not suck, it was actually really pretty damn good.

Being the FFVII fangirl that I am, I was positively gleeful to be able to visit areas and meet people from Final Fantasy VII. Most of the areas were pretty faithful to the original game, which made for some nice nostalgic exploration.

I'd have to say that now, Zack is my favorite lead character from any FF I've played. Cloud was an asshole, Squall was an emo asshole, Zidane was fucking annoying, Tidus looked like Meg Ryan and Vaan needed to take his Ritalin. But Zack, Zack's a cool guy, which makes his tragic end all the more depressing.

The end...ah, the end. Players of FFVII already know how Crisis Core will end, but the way it ends was rather satisfying and pretty intense. It also brought a tear to my eye! A game hasn't made me cry in a while, so hats off to Squeenix for jerking my tears.

One beef that I have with all this compilation of FFVII stuff: Her name is Aeris. Remember that game, Final Fantasy VII? The game all these other games and movies and OVAs are based off of? Yeah. In that, it's Aeris. I don't give a shit what it is in the Japanese version. In the English version, it's Aeris, so keep it that way, don't change it to Aerith in everything else. It was bearable in Kingdom Hearts, because she wasn't a major character, and it was an alternate universe anyway. But this is the goddamn prequel to FFVII, she should have the same name. Aeris is prettier than Aerith, anyway.

No comments: