Tuesday, February 19, 2008

King Of Kong: Why I Feel Better About My Gaming Addictions

As you may or may not have heard, the folks here at QP had a hearty sit down last night and watched King of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters. This humble film major's review: A+.

I must admit, in the first 10 minutes I found myself mocking the now ultra subculture of retro gamers -- 90 minutes later....I found my self still mocking everyone -- except Steve Wiebe, truly a God among men.

He basically took a giant shit on Billy Mitchell's high score in Donkey Kong, and was subsequently stripped of his title through conflict of interest (the "officials" who recognize the high scores have huge boners for Mitchell.) Wiebe then proceeded to serve Billy "Bitchell" another two-pound turd burger by beating his high score in public, in front of the aforementioned officials.

The only criticism that I would give of the film is that they make Billy Mitchell look like a complete asshole. The problem: Billy Mitchell is a complete asshole.

The story is all very convoluted and petty, but it's entertaining as hell, and makes me feel better about beating Bioshock three times. (49/50 achievements)

Unfortunately, Mitchell took back the world record recently, and thus Wiebe has announced he will attempt another record this summer. If you see this man on the street tell him, "You can do eeeet!" QP's got your back buddy.

No comments: