Saturday, February 2, 2008

Fuck The Halo 3 Leveling System

Not since WWF Wrestlemania 2000 has a video game made me physically aggressive (sorry, all of my ninja turtle action figures.)
I'm not amazing at Halo, but I consider myself a force to be reckoned with. If memory serves correctly, it was possible for any Master Chief to reach level 40 in Halo 2, though not without some frustration and elbow grease.

That said, FUCK the Halo 3 leveling system - - more affectionately known in the professional world as TrueSkill. I'll spare you the time: basically it takes into account how well you play, how many times you place first, and how much dark matter is in your general vicinity. After reaching level 40 trying to level up turns into Bungie's version of Duck Hunt.

I just want to know why: why do I de-level after losing 1 out of 10 games? Don't tell me it's my sigma or mu (see: TrueSkill). This isn't Japan. Magical forces don't imbue our gaming skills. It's America and we all want to be 4 star generals. I'll be damned if some mathematician in the Silicon Valley is gonna stop me - - and I'm not the only one.

But seriously, at least 5000 wins Bungie? Boo. I'll be playing for while, but my knuckles can only punch through so many surfaces.

No comments: