Sunday, February 17, 2008

Boo GameZnFlix, Hooray Beer!

Approximately 192 hours ago I embarked on a quest to find out if GameZnFlix really was all that and a bag of chips. Turns out it was just a bag of chips. The 25 cent kind that contain about five chips and bunch of crumbs. Only I paid $13.00 dollars for them.

Numbers aside, I initially was very hopeful, even starry-eyed about my own personal media concierge. "I can have out two games or movies at the same time? This is too good to be true." I said to myself. Well friends, I can wholeheartedly back up the age old adage, "If it seems too good to be true, it is."

1.) Turns out you can only have one game and one movie at the same time (On the two out plan). Ok, not a big deal, although I was trying to circumvent Gamefly's pricey service.

2.) It took them 8 days to send me my first game.

3.) Their website is broken. It's somewhat difficult to explain through words without spewing expletives, but let's try. When browsing games, movies or search results you can't browse past the first page. You can, however, click with futility on the numbers indicating the next page of results. Essentially you need to know exactly what you want to rent so you can search for it on the website. Which brings me to my fourth point.

4.) When you press enter after you type in a search request the website asks you if you want to log out. You actually have to physically click 'search' once you've typed a request.

5.) They don't have customer service by phone. They do have a customer service phone number -- upon pressing one for customer service you are told that their customer service exists solely through email. Do they really think e-mail is a more efficient means of communication of telephone? I'm pretty sure even George W. Bush is aware of that.

6.) (Yeah, six) You have to listen to some dumbass introduce the "revolutionary" idea of renting games and movies from the same service every time you visit the website.

Succinctly, GameZnFlix.com sucks: their website is broken, their service is slow, and their customer service is non-existent. If you're really looking for a good website to rent games from, suck it up and pay for Gamefly -- they even have DS and GBA rentals. But really you should just stick to your local rental store anyway. Personally, I think Blockbuster could put all online rental services out of business if they just added a game rental component to their online service. C'est la vie.

In my opinion you should just use that money to buy a case of Lion's Head and break out Goldeneye. (You know you've still got it.)

No comments: